In the 1930's, the fishing industry was at its heighest point in Milford Haven and fish was sent throughout the UK in wooden returnable boxes, these were made locally at the Box Factory at Newton Noyes (Royal Navy Mines Depot). The Admirality however purchased the Royal Navy Mines Depot and the factory had to move.
"Priory House" became part of the Lower Priory village,a booklet written and published on 23rd March 1990 by Ken McKey (Courtesy of Margaret, Hakin, Milford Haven) gave an overview of the history of Pill Priory. The Priory House people wanted to know more about where they live, hence this booklet. Also, this booklet was intended to raise awareness and funds for Priory House's mini bus.
The sewage pipe excavations, observed during the 1996-1997
watching brief revealed 3 human inhumations in an area north of the priory
church. They occupied a 55-m section or the pipe trench, which was machine-excavated,
averaging 1.60m in width and 3m in depth, and ran along the lane towards
the bridge over the eastern stream. The normal planning procedure had
been bypassed and the watching brief was undertaken as an emergency measure,
most or the burials were cleaned for recording and left in situ.
It took a while to lay the remains of the lay burials associated with Pill Priory to rest. They were first being stored with the parish priest as no agreement had been reached on their reburial despite local pressure. Hoever, they were eventually reburied North-East from the Chancel Arch. The 'stone', believed to have belonged to the Priory Church building and which was recovered from within the grounds, now marks the spot of the reburial. A ceremony was held for this occasion.