The Pill Priory site remained primarily agricultural from the 16th century until the later 19th century when a sawmill and pumping station were established.
Wet Docks and Floating Basin (1809 -1867). Whilst these changing and some confusing railway schemes were in the melting pot, there emerged what was to prove the most ambitious plan for a dock complex at Milford. This was the brainchild of an engineer named James Thompson who proposed a docks from Hubberston Pill to Castle Pill and beyond to include both inlets. Hubberston Pill itself was to be diverted into two parts by an embankment with a lock gate roughly along the line of the present Hakin Bridge. The embankment was to carry a road connecting Milford and Hakin and lead to Pill Priory, almost up to the village of Lower Priory as a floating basin.
An account of Pill Priory by the Pembrokeshire antiquarian Richard Fenton, describes the priory ruins much as they survive today. Scattered development around the ruins is shown as an informal grouping on maps of 1818 and 1842. The area was termed 'cottages, gardens, ruin etc.', and 'waste', in the schedule of a sale plan of 1861 when the site was occupied by a number of tenants, it remained primarily agricultural until c. 1864 when a pumping station and a sawmill were established nearby.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pill and Hubberstone like this:
HUBBERSTON, a village and a parish in Haverfordwest district, Pembroke. The village stands on a creek of Milford Haven, 1 mile West of Milford railway station and carries on some trade in the export of corn, limestone and coal. The parish is partly within Milford borough and it comprises 1, 270 acres of land and 610 of water. Post town, Milford Haven. Real property, £3, 963; of which £235 are in gas works. Population in 1851, 1, 040; in 1861, 1, 270. Houses. 242. Pop. of the part within Milford borough, 836. Houses, 162. An observatory, and the remains of Pill priory are a little East of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £130.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has some old stalls, and was recently in disrepair. Charities, £8.
Below left is a picture of Pill Priory taken before 1905 - notice the pumping station chimney on the right end side. Below right is a picture of Priory Lake with the saw mills in the distance.