Crow left

Logo text
Crow right

Marker right Home
Marker right History
     - 12th Century
     - 13th Century
     - 14th Century
     - 15th Century
     - 16th Century
     - 17th Century
     - 18th Century
     - 19th Century
     - 20th Century
          - Slideshow
     - 21st Century
Marker right Location
Marker right Contact Us
Marker Links
Marker right Disclaimer
Marker right Bibliography
Marker Wikipedia

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Valid CSS!

18th Century

 

Sir William Hamilton

We were unable to find much information with regards to Pill Priory in this century, apart from that Pill remained in Barlow hands until 1758. By the mid 18th century, the lands had been inherited by Catherine Barlow of Slebech, who at the time was living in London. In 1758 she married Sir William Hamilton (picture left) and on her death in 1782, he inherited the land in the Hubberston and Pill area.

The main occupation in the district during this period was boat-building, with some lime-burning. The priory grist mill was still operational in 1793.

Shown below are some Pill Priory illustrations from this century.


Pill Priory - by S. Hooper, 20th January 1775 (view from the North West)

S. Hooper

Pill Priory - by John 'Warwick' Smith, 1787 (view from the North West) - Courtesy of Ian Bannister (Milford haven)


John Warwick Smith

Pill Priory by Taylor (late 18th Century) - View from the East

Pill Priory late 18th Century

Pill Priory by Henry Gastineau 1791-1876 - View from the East

Henry Gastineau

 

Also, a book by Gregory Sharpe called "A second argument in defence of Christianity - .pdf 13.5MB - digitised by Google " which was published in London, 1762 illustrates Pill Priory on the fore-edge/fanned to the right on the book (shown below). Pill Priory for-edge painting

The Department of Rare Books & Manuscripts, and Special Collections at the Boston Public Library, USA, where there is a copy of this book and where the picture on the right edge has been found, were thinking of digitising the book. However and on closer observation, they stepped away from this as the Rare Books Conservator thought that the binding is too fragile to withstand the rigor's of digitisation.

The only reason they can think of that their library has a copy of the book with fore-edge painting is that fore-edge paintings were commissioned by individual owners. That is, fore-edges were not mass produced but done at the whim and vanity of the book owner. They just happen to have that particular book. Around 1941 a collector named Albert Henry Wiggin donated his vast array of books and prints to the library. At some point Mr. Wiggin must have acquired this volume for his collection. They have no inclination as to why this painting was/could have been used. Neither are there any references with regards to Pill Priory in this book.

Another copy of the book has now been digitised by the Oxford University on 9th July 2008 - totaling 80 pages. Also, copies of the book (5 volumes) are in the library of Cambridge University, the University of Sheffield and the University of Wales, Lampeter and it is also available from a UK book seller (2008). However, none of them have fore-edge paintings on them.

Marker left 17th Century   Marker right19th Century

Favicon
Copyright - Pill Priory - Tironian House. All rights reserved. 2008